In the last post we started our series on acquiring larger clients that will sustain your business over the long run. Today we’re going to take that a step further by talking about how to understand and think and conduct your business like a “large client” company and how that can help you plan your approach and find success.
Before you can start the process of landing these types of clients, you have to make sure your entire team is onboard with your approach and vision. Here are six key ways to finding big client success. They are:
- First Impression: You must remember you sometimes have one shot to land a large client. If you make a mistake, they are most likely not going to consider you again. Never give them a reason to doubt your abilities on that first call.
- First Priority: Your large prospect must always feel like they are your first priority. Return their calls and emails immediately and find solutions to their problems or questions as quickly as possible.
- Be flexible: You need to be flexible in your negotiations. If they need a special service or have a need for you to customize a product or product bundle, then simply accommodate them for the benefit of the long term. A little hassle now will be a big pay off later.
- Long-term: This goes along with the last one a bit. As you are approaching and negotiating with large prospects you need to think about the long-term benefits for your business. If you go for a one-time big score you will lose their interest.
- Have Fun: Work should be fun, even when trying to land big clients. In fact, this should be the most fun. You are sharing your vision with new people and including them in your future success and likewise. People simply work better in a fun, happy environment. Your passion will also be contagious and acclimate your larger clients into your vision even more.
- Help Them: If you take just a little bit of time and offer your clients ways to save money or time by introducing them to potential business partners, this will show you really are invested and interested in their business. Strive to find balance between your business’ needs and your client’s needs.
There are also a few tactics you can use to bring in a big-company vision to the people on your team. You can:
- Post these six keys for all to see.
- Put together a performance-based incentive program.
- Conduct frequent team meetings.
- Use a “right now” policy that dictates high-priority client calls be answered immediately and handled with urgency.
- Offer awards/recognition for big-company ideas and executions.
- Put together a training and certification program based on the six keys above.
These six keys and tips will help you instill a big-company mindset throughout your business which will help you be more prepared and more likely to land the larger clients. Once your team is thinking this way, you’ll be unstoppable.
If you need help putting together an incentive program or other way to push your team toward the big-company mindset, try our GUIDED TOUR to work with one of our coaches or check out our resources and tools.